Lacking a single view of IT costs across 6 government agencies made decision-making and modelling new technology Investment cases difficult.
Operating within the department, Information Technology Partners (ITP) is a charge-back ICT provider servicing multiple state government agencies outside of the department. ITP’s services are delivered across more than 9,000 users and 300 sites throughout Queensland.
DAF were an advanced user of service costing and billing practices, with 6 separate government agencies as clients of their IT Services. Complex spreadsheets supported that need, but key person dependency concerns, lack of analytics and poor auditability were considered significant risks. This, combined with the need to explain to their partner agencies what they were getting for their chargeback, required a purpose built ITFM solution. DAF surveyed the market for suitable software systems to replace the spreadsheets and settled on ClearCost to conduct a Proof of Concept (POC). With technology demand In the hands of the business units consumption of Technology was better managed, with consumption insights reported by ClearCost.
To provide ITP with a robust ITFM solution to enable transparency to their partner agencies on service costs with improved consumption management.
Only one company quickly provided a single source of truth, exactly as desired.
DAF surveyed the market for suitable software systems to replace the spreadsheets and settled on ClearCost.
After a successful Proof of Concept, the solution was implemented across all of ITP and has led to year on year improvements for the department.
ClearCost software and professional services have led to:
- Transparency across all IT spend for different business units, showing which IT services were driving their spend.
- Transparent and defensible Bill of IT for DAF’s partner agencies.
- An analytics platform to enable cost optimisation and compare investment options and delivery models to meet the departments business objectives.
- An Industry data model that facilitated government contestability and state-wide benchmarking initiatives using CDRU benchmark market data.
- Robust EOM business processes, ensuring cost of service and its drivers were defensible and current.
- Capability for scenario modelling allowing management to understand the impact of various cloud models, budgetary & organisation structure changes on their service offerings.
- An internal team skilled up to further their ICT service costing capabilities, whilst spend allocation In ClearCost, benchmarking and insights from CDRU provided.
- With API integration Into ITSM solutions to add value to any existing client side ITSM or CMDB investments, Clearcost provides the modelling required to help clients transition to the cloud.
Gained a robust IT Financial Management solution to enable transparency, and benchmark value-for-money across agencies on service costs.
Because of ClearCost, ITP now have one source of truth in a single pane of glass. All six partner agencies see the same numbers and can be on the same page. ITP can now make better informed decisions by seeing all their IT spend, including any unexpected or unauthorised costs.
ITP used ClearCost’s solution and CDRU benchmark services to optimise costs across all six partner agencies, enabling a single source of truth, and better understanding of the value for money equation with IT. They now have an accurate, and reliable understanding of their financial forecast and how their individual services are performing to benchmarks after using the CDRU benchmark services.Get in touch